Congratulations on the new addition to your family! A newborn brings so much love and joy. You will want to remember this time forever. Hiring a professional photographer is one way to do that, but it can be expensive. If you want to save some money and capture these moments yourself, here are some tips.
- Plan and be prepared. Gather all the props you will need such as blankets, hats, headbands, etc. Have them within easy reach so you are not fumbling around when trying to take the photo. This also goes for your camera. Thus, check Best Nashville Newborn Photographer for capturing newborn moments.
Make sure it is fully charged and that you have plenty of space on your memory card. Nothing is worse than finally getting that perfect shot only to realize your camera battery died or your memory card is full!
- Time it right. Newborns tend to sleep a lot, so try to time your photo session for when the baby is sleepy but not too sleepy.
If they are too sleepy, they may be difficult to pose. On the other hand, if they are not sleepy enough, they may be fussy and not cooperate. Another good time to try to photograph your newborn is right after a feeding when they are typically content and relaxed.
- Get down on their level. When taking pictures of your newborn, get down on their level instead of taking the photo from above them. This makes the photo more intimate and shows off their little features better than if you were standing above them looking down.
- Use natural light whenever possible. Newborns tend to have delicate skin that can be easily damaged by flash photography.
If you must use flash, diffuse it by attaching a white cloth or piece of tissue paper over the flash head. If possible, though, try to take advantage of natural light coming in from a nearby window for softer, more flattering photos of your baby.
- Be patient! Newborns move around a lot and they do not always cooperate when it comes time to take their picture.
It may take some time (and a lot of patience!) to get that perfect shot but it will be worth it when you look back at these photos years from now and remember this special time in your baby’s life—and yours!
Photographing your newborn can be challenging but also very rewarding. By following these tips, you should be able to get some beautiful shots that you will cherish for years to come! And don’t forget to have fun with it—enjoy this special time with your new little one!